The 4000 series aluminum alloys is an aluminum plate with silicon as the main alloying element, that is, aluminum-silicon alloy. 4000 series aluminum alloyss are used more abroad, but less domestically. In terms of production technology, the level of domestic aluminum-silicon alloys is far behind that of the West....
The 4000 series aluminum alloys is an aluminum plate with silicon as the main alloying element, that is, aluminum-silicon alloy. 4000 series aluminum alloyss are used more abroad, but less domestically. In terms of production technology, the level of domestic aluminum-silicon alloys is far behind that of the West.
Features of 4000 series aluminum alloys
- High wear resistance. Aluminum-silicon alloy has high wear resistance. As the silicon content increases, the hardness and strength of the aluminum-silicon alloy will increase.
- The coefficient of thermal expansion is small. Any material will expand at high temperatures, which limits the application range of most materials. The aluminum-silicon alloy has a small thermal expansion coefficient and can work in a high-temperature environment.
- Easy to cast. Among the cast aluminum alloys, the 4 series aluminum-silicon alloy accounts for more than 90%, which shows the superior casting performance of the aluminum-silicon alloy.
The shortcomings of aluminum-silicon alloys have not yet been effectively resolved
Disadvantages of 4000 series aluminum alloys
- When the silicon content is small, the dimensional stability and seizure resistance of aluminum-silicon alloy are poor, and the performance of thermal expansion resistance is not good. Casting deformation will occur at high temperatures.
- After the silicon content is increased, the hardness, strength, wear resistance and corrosion resistance of the aluminum-silicon alloy will be greatly improved, but the cutting performance will be greatly reduced. The primary silicon of the high-silicon aluminum plate is very coarse. Chemical processing, and direct casting with conventional methods, the product qualification rate will be greatly reduced.
Application of 4000 series aluminum alloys
Because the 4-series aluminum alloy has the characteristics of high strength, good wear resistance, low thermal expansion coefficient, and easy casting, it is the most ideal material for manufacturing automobile and motorcycle internal combustion engine pistons invented by humans so far. The production technology of aluminum-silicon alloy in the United States, Japan, Germany and other countries is the most advanced. Aluminum-silicon alloy has been widely used in motor vehicle pistons and cylinders. China's current basic research is relatively scarce and the production technology is poor, so there are fewer applications.